So I’ve decided that my animal will mimic the form of a narwhale. My animal will tackle our enormous plastic pollution problem in the ocean. For right now, I’ve decided to call my animal the “narcycler”. The narcycler uses its’ digestive system and photosynthesis through its’ blowhole to help turn the recyclable material that it sucks in live animals that are composed of recyclable material.
The materials pictured above are what I’ve found to make my narcycler so far. I’m planning to have the coke bottle, the plastic egg carton part, the hollow metal yellow piece (its near the copper piece), and the metal part that looks like a tail on the outside of my narcyler (plus the ends of plastic spoons for the fins which aren’t pictured ). I’m planning to have the rest of the material pictured above to be inside the bottle.
In class today, we had a discussion about how the materials broadcast the power of the animal and how does it provide a message from just the material. My classmates Sadia, Amanda, and Camden all agreed that my materials work well together because the outside materials are recyclable which emphasizes the superpower of narcycler (that it recycles through the digestive system).
We also discussed what we could consider further for the form, function , or material of the animal. Sadia advised me to make sure that I kept the form of a fish on the outside (I hadn’t brought the fins in yet). Amanda advised me to limit the outside of the narcycler to recyclable material since this material demonstrates what is occurring within the animal. Camden told me that the motherboard that I plan to put inside the narcycler’s body is a good material to use since many people do not recycle electronic equipment properly.
And our final discussion centered on the what if factor of our project. We just discussed some ideas for what the material does and other suggestions we had. Sadia advised me to have all kinds of plastic lying under the motherboards. However, I think I like the idea of having the plastic on the top, because that gives the transformation process more visibility. Amanda suggested that I could change the tail to plastic material and have it more fan like, which would fan out all the animals it created. And Camden suggested that the tail material that I had looks like it is a hydro electric tail that generates power. Camden’s idea helped me decide that I’m going to stick with the tail that I have. Even though the tail material is not plastic like the rest of the outside, the fact that it looks like its generating power helps to maintain my animal’s mechanical theme.